See also: Glyph coverage by standard.
This page shows the glyph coverage for various popular academic fonts.
Fonts were selected based on recomendations on various sites, or for having wide glyph coverage, particularly in mathematics and historical languages.
The focus is on western academia, so I did not consider CJK-and-related coverage. Font styles are typically "classical" serif, with a few sans-serifs. Arial is included, but not Calibri, due to its peculiarities.
Neither is really recommended for serious publications.
I am not including the actual fonts, or links to them, due to wanting to keep the page weight down, and avoid dealing with licensing issues. Your friendly neighbourhood search engine will find them for you.
The "defining features" of a font are usually in how certain letters are drawn, in particular capitals A C E G I J K M O Q R S W, lowercase a e g i j l o y, some punctuation like ? , . (), and the numerals.
These are highlighted in the custom sentence, which also gives a feel for the "darkness" of the font, and its typical kerning. "Smirnoff" highlights issues with r n looking like m, and how ff renders.
I have excluded the Kurinto fonts as these are based on others already included, and also the TypoPro collection.
First are sample images of each font, and user-selectable glyph coverage tables below.
Sample images of the fonts, and abbreviation for the column hedings in the table below. Font size for the letterforms is 28pt, while the sentences are 12pt.
- Adventor 2.501 (Adv), 1201 glyphs
- Alegreya 2.003 (Ale), 1238 glyphs
- Alegreya Sans 2.001 (Ales), 1237 glyphs
- Alphabetum 14 (Alph), 6108 glyphs
- Andika 5.000 (And), 2365 glyphs
- Arial 7.00 (Ari), 3363 glyphs
- Arial Unicode 1.01 (ArUni), 38919 glyphs
- Babelstone 13.006 (Bab), 2697 glyphs
- Baskerville 1.000 (Bask), 572 glyphs
- Libre Baskerville 1.000 (LiBas), 444 glyphs
- Bonum 2.004 (Bon), 1055 glyphs
- Brill 2.06 (Brill), 2320 glyphs
- Cambria 2.00 (Cam), 622 glyphs
- Cardo 1.045 (Card), 3117 glyphs
- LTC Caslon Pro 3.000 (Cas), 439 glyphs
- Charis 5.000 (Chari), 2365 glyphs
- Charter ITC 1.000 (Chart), 654 glyphs
- Code2000 1.171 (Code), 53070 glyphs
- Courier New 6.92 (CourN), 3178 glyphs
- Cursor 2.004 (Curs), 1052 glyphs
- Doulos 5.000 (Doul), 2365 glyphs
- Everson Mono 7.000 (Ever), 7124 glyphs
- FiraGO 1.001 (FirGO), 2520 glyphs
- EB Garamond 1.000 (EBGara), 2064 glyphs
- Garamond Libre 1.4 (GaLib), 1334 glyphs
- Gentium Plus 5.000 (Gent), 2702 glyphs
- Georgia 5.59 (Geo), 621 glyphs
- Gill Sans 2.12 (Gill), 661 glyphs
- Helvetica 10.0 (Helv), 2014 glyphs
- Helvetica Neue 8.0 (HelvN), 2103 glyphs
- Heros 2.004 (Hero), 1055 glyphs
- Hoeffler Clear Text 001.001 (Hoef), 406 glyphs
- Inter 3.013 (Inter), 2466 glyphs
- Junicode 1.002 (Juni), 2701 glyphs
- Kelvinch 3.40 (Kelv), 3543 glyphs
- Lato 2.007 (Lato), 2168 glyphs
- LeedsUni 2009.000 (Leed), 3409 glyphs
- Libertinus Math 7.031 (LibM), 2636 glyphs
- Libertinus Sans 7.031 (LibS), 2142 glyphs
- Linguistics Pro 001.000 (Lin), 1807 glyphs
- Literata 3.002 (Lit), 1165 glyphs
- FF Meta Serif 7.504 (Meta), 700 glyphs
- Minion Pro 2.068 (Min), 1658 glyphs
- Myriad Pro 2.007 (Myr), 839 glyphs
- Pagella 2.501 (Pag), 1201 glyphs
- Palatino 1.15 (Pala), 1052 glyphs
- PalemonasMUFI 2.000 (Pale), 2603 glyphs
- IBM Plex Sans 3.1 (PlxSa), 827 glyphs
- IBM Plex Serif 2.1 (PlxSe), 753 glyphs
- PT Sans 2.003W (PTSa), 718 glyphs
- PT Serif 1.000W (PTSe), 718 glyphs
- Quivira 4.1 (Quiv), 8471 glyphs
- Schola 2.005 (Scho), 1055 glyphs
- Skolar PE 3.000 (Sko), 1287 glyphs
- Source Sans Pro 2.020 (SouSa), 1297 glyphs
- Source Serif Pro 2.000 (SouSe), 905 glyphs
- STIX Math 1.1.1 (STIX), 2308 glyphs
- Symbola 13.00 (Sym), 7270 glyphs
- Termes 2.004 (Term), 1055 glyphs
- Times 7.00 (TNR), 3636 glyphs
- TITUS Cyberbit Basic 3.0 (Titus), 9211 glyphs
- Vollkorn 4.104 (Voll), 1221 glyphs
Glyph support comparison
The table excludes U+058B, U+058C, U+169E, U+2065, U+208F, U+4E2D, U+A8FB, U+FB10, U+FB11, U+FB12, and U+FFFF codepoints, any blocks not present in any of the fonts, and the following blocks which are in some of the fonts:
- 0F00..0FFF; Tibetan
- 2E80..2EFF; CJK Radicals Supplement
- 2F00..2FDF; Kangxi Radicals
- 3400..4DBF; CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A
- 4E00..9FFF; CJK Unified Ideographs
- A000..A48F; Yi Syllables
- A490..A4CF; Yi Radicals
- A960..A97F; Hangul Jamo Extended-A
- AC00..D7AF; Hangul Syllables
- D7B0..D7FF; Hangul Jamo Extended-B
- E000..F8FF; Private Use Area
Select fonts (maximum 12) to compare. You probably don't want more than 5 or 7 at a time. Trust me.
This table is supposed to render using Symbola font, your browser may substitute different glyphs as needed..